GRR Volume 2 Issue 3
Arriving at the end of the busiest time of year for law conferences, this edition of GRR comes packed with coverage from the biggest cross-border restructuring and insolvency gatherings around the globe. Fast establishing itself among those is GRR Live – a half day interactive event that had its second annual outing in London in May. Co-chaired by Adam Plainer of Weil Gotshal & Manges and Rebecca Jarvis at Linklaters, we bring you coverage of sessions on how to gain leverage in a restructuring and a keynote speech from Lord Justice David Richards of the Court of Appeal of England and Wales, who cautioned that court to court communication in insolvency matters can be complicated.
To mark the entry into force of the recast European Insolvency Regulation on 26 June, this magazine also provides in-depth coverage of an event organised by the Academy of European Law, where the wording of the new regulation was subjected to scrutiny. The takeaway of the event was that politics led to the regulation being watered-down – but there is hope for future incarnations, at least where the restructuring of corporate groups is concerned.
Elsewhere, GRR spent an hour with Judge Robert Drain from the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, discussing past and future cross-border cooperation in light of the recent Judicial Insolvency Network guidelines, which he helped draft. Paul Apáthy and Emmanuel Chua of Herbert Smith Freehills focus on whether the cutting-edge provisions in Singapore’s amended Companies Act can help tackle the “wall of debt” looming in Asia.
Finally – as always – we have our regular columnists; Leiden University emeritus professor Bob Wessels on Europe; and Edward Davis and Annette Escobar from Sequor Law in Miami on asset recovery; and this time our pre-insolvency column in association with TMA Europe is brought to you by Piotr Bieniasz, finance director at Automatic Systems Engineering in Gdansk, Poland.
In this magazine:
- Recast at last: Why politics impaired the European Insolvency Regulation
- Interview: Judge Robert Drain
- Can Singapore’s new regime help tackle Asia’s looming wall of debt?
- Europe: rights and duties of the group coordinator in the EU Insolvency regulation
- Pre-Insolvency: Corporate restructuring landscape in Poland – new regulations in place
- Asset Recovery: The door to recovery – tracing of stolen or wrongfully siphoned assets
GRR Live 2nd Annual Conference:
- Lord Justice David Richards on court-to-court communication
- How to increase your leverage in a restructuring
- The English scheme – repair or replace?
- III’s 17th Annual Conference – London: Is common law incompatible with a universalist approach?
- Latin Lawyer-GRR Live, New York: Why Latin America is shunning Chapter 15
- IBA, Copenhagen: Difficulties with the new directive
- AIRA Dallas: Opportunity and risk in fossil fuel and green energy restructurings
- American College of Bankruptcy, Washington, DC: Recent developments in Chapter 15