Trustees, liquidators, receivers, administrators, monitors… the restructuring and insolvency business is by no means limited to a small community of private practice lawyers. GRR was keen to get to know this important sector of non-lawyer professionals and to identify who stood out.
Taking the same approach as we did in March’s “40 under 40” survey, we asked our broad network of contacts to tell us which insolvency practitioners among the younger generation they regarded as particularly talented. We present the Top 20 which were whittled down from nearly 100 very worthy names recommended.
Elsewhere in this issue, Debevoise & Plimpton’s Claire Williams considers the trials of the UK retail sector in recent years – likely to be exacerbated by Brexit – and examines how retention of title clauses in contracts with suppliers can complicate matters in cross-border bankruptcies.
Meanwhile, in partnership with our sister magazine Latin Lawyer, we tackle another pair of hot topics: Italy’s huge pile of non-performing loans and Brazil’s restructuring boom.
In other regular features this month, Leiden University professor Bob Wessels discusses in his Europe column how well the new definition of “debtor in possession” in the recast European Insolvency Regulation translates into the different languages and laws of EU member states.
Partner Andrew Shutter from Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton also considers in his sovereign debt column how to deal with contingent liabilities arising from state guarantees: while our asset recovery columnists, founding partner Edward Davis and partner Annette Escobar of Astigarraga & Davis in Miami, examine pre- and post-judgment remedies available in US Chapter 15 proceedings.
In this issue:
- Big, Old and in Retail: a Recipe for Confusion
- The New Insolvency Advisers
- Too big to resolve? The BRRD’s uneasy Italian landing
- Bankruptcy in Brazil: Swapping an axe for a scalpel
- Europe: EU welcomes the debtor in possession
- Asset Recovery: Claims and relief available in cross-border bankruptcies – equitable and pre and post-judgment remedies
- Sovereign Debt: What to do about contingent liabilities?
- Lawyers warn of proposed new US intercompany debt rules
5th Annual European Insolvency and Restructuring Congress Brussels:
- Protecting the health of Europe: the “magic cure” of pre-insolvency
- Six points to consider when shifting COMI